Enhanced DBS Checks are the highest level of DBS Check available and are generally required for positions that involve working with vulnerable groups, such as children, or vulnerable adults and the elderly.
There are two types of Enhanced DBS Check available: Enhanced with Barring List or Enhanced without Barring List. The Enhanced check with a barring list covering the relevant children and/or adults barring list checks are required for positions such as teachers, healthcare workers, taxi drivers, and dentists*. If found, an Enhanced Check will disclose spent convictions, unspent convictions, cautions, warnings, reprimands and checks against ISA barred lists.
In order to be eligible for an enhanced DBS with an adults barring list check, the applicant must be carrying out regulated activity on a regular basis (4 times per month or once overnight). This includes:
- Healthcare for adults provided by, or under the supervision/ direction of a regulated health care professional.
- Personal care for adults involving hand-on physical assistance with washing and dressing, eating, drinking and toileting; prompting and supervising an adult with any of these tasks because of their age, illness or disability; or teaching someone to do one of these tasks.
- Social work – provision by a social care worker of social work, which is required in connection with any health services or social services.
- Assistance with an adult’s cash, bills or shopping because of their age, illness or disability arranged via a third party.
- Assisting in the conduct of an adult’s own affairs under a formal appointment.
- Conveying adults for reasons of age, illness or disability to, from, or between places, where they receive healthcare, personal care or social work arranged via a third party.
Full criteria can be found here.